• Stacks Image 1955

    Link
Historical Sites & Museums
So much more than 300 years of history to explore in Cumberland County!

ABRAHAM HOY HOUSE (located at the Compton House at 1229 Front Street, Mauricetown, which is the headquarters of the Mauricetown Historical Society): In the spring of 2005 one of the older houses in Mauricetown was marked for demolition. After a close examination a decision was made by the society to save the house from destruction inasmuch as it was one of the very last of its kind. To facilitate the preservation, it was decided to move the structure to the society's property. The Abraham Hoy House, two rooms down and two rooms up, undoubtedly has sheltered generations of farmers, shop keepers, ship builders and mariners. It is the intention of the society to restore it to its original condition to every extent possible, to preserve the memory of those who lived in such houses, some of the most modest in the area. 1229 Front Street, Mauricetown, NJ 08329. www.mauricetownhistoricalsociety.org

BAYSHORE CENTER AT BIVALVE:
Port Norris. The Bayshore Center at Bivalve is the home of the authentically restored 1928 oyster schooner, AJ Meerwald and the Delaware Bay Museum and Folklife Center. In keeping with its mission, BCB offers shipboard and shore-based educational programs and activities. There are public sails throughout the region on the schooner along with maritime camps, charters and special theme sails between April and October. The Museum and Folklife Center, open year-round Tuesday through Saturday, 11:00am to 4:00pm, is located in the historic Shipping Sheds and Wharves on the scenic Maurice River. It houses two exhibits, "The Abundant Oyster?" and “Bringing Bivalve to Life" There is also a Bivalve Discovery Tour which includes a Wetland Walk with activities and seining on the salt hay meadow restored to tidal flow across from BCB. Special annual events include Bay Day Festival on the first Saturday in June and the Run for the Schooner: Walkathon & 5K held in April. BCB also presents Second Friday, an open house held monthly with live music, art exhibit, lectures, food and fun. In addition, BCB’s campus includes the Oyster Cracker Café, serving mostly home-made and locally grown delicious seafood and traditional fare, open Thursday through Saturday, 11:30am to 3:00pm. 2800 High St., Bivalve, Port Norris, NJ 08349. 800-485-3072 or 856-785-2060. www.bayshorecenter.org

BIVALVE SHIPPING SHEDS: Port Norris. The Bivalve Shipping Sheds are an example of the unique architecture which formed around the oyster industry of southern New Jersey. The heyday of Maurice River's oyster harvesting took off with the arrival of the Bridgeton and Port Norris Railroad in 1872. The railroad connected Bivalve with Philadelphia and New York, and allowed for the popular oysters to be delivered to those cities within a day. By the early 20th century, Maurice River oysters, the country's number one fishery product, were served from Baltimore to New York and west as far as Kansas City, shipped via the Central Railroad of New Jersey and the Pennsylvania Railroad. Thousands of workers and hundreds of oyster schooners were harvesting, shucking and packing oysters in uniquely designed buildings like the Bivalve Shipping Sheds. On the waterfront side are wharves covered by sloping shed roofs. Oyster schooners, known for their shallow hulls needed to navigate mud flats and river systems, would unload the oysters into floats along the river, then transfer the oysters into scows, where were brought under the covered wharves where the oysters were busheled into baskets before being dumped into bags or barrels. When a bag or barrel was filled it was wheeled up the alleyway to the broad wood plank platform that provided the link to the railroad cars. The dock and the roofs would protect the scow gangs from the elements. Attached to the wharves are the two-story sheds that housed offices for oyster planters and shippers, as well as, numerous businesses that supported the industry. The oyster industry flourished until 1957 when the oyster beds in the Delaware Bay were hit with MSX and later by Dermo in the 1990s, parasites that decimated the oyster crop. The railroad had already abandoned its line in the 1930s as trucking took over the shipping needs. Bivalve and other river communities plummeted in size and stature. Many of the Shipping Sheds deteriorated and were used as storage or simply abandoned. Today, little remains of this once vital area. Most recently, through the effort and dedication of the Bayshore Discovery Project, seven of the original shipping sheds have been restored and have been repurposed as a combination maritime community center, museum and the homeport of New Jersey's Official Tall Ship, the Delaware Bay oyster schooner, A.J. Meerwald. The shipping sheds were placed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places in 1996. 2800 High St., Bivalve, Port Norris, NJ 08349. 800-485-3072 or 856-785-2060. www.bayshorecenter.org

CAPTAIN EDWARD COMPTON HOUSE: Mauricetown. Captain Edward Compton House is a 2 story, brick and frame, High Victorian styled Italianate house. Edward Compton was a ship captain in the oyster industry. The primary commodity for the region, oysters and oystering were making millionaires out of the ship captains who were involved in the trade. Many of the grandiose houses in town, with their gingerbread decor were the homes of captains who wanted to express through architecture their new-found wealth. The Edward Compton house is an excellent example of this intent. The house, built in 1864, is in the Victorian Italianate style. Popular in England in the early 19th century, the Italianate style, with its lavish details, wide columned porches and monumental entrances reached its peak along the East Coast of America in the 1860s. The house itself includes a large veranda extending across the entire front facade with four hexagonal pillars and ornate brackets. The wrought iron fencing along the front of the property is original and the interior of the house continues the ornate decor with plaster molding and medallions on the ceilings. The Mauricetown Historical Society purchased the property in 1984 and spent the next 25 years meticulously restoring it to its original grandeur. The house is currently home to the Mauricetown Historical Society and is open for tours twice a month. 1229 Front St, Mauricetown, NJ 08329. 856-785-0457. www.mauricetownhistoricalsociety.org

CENTER FOR HISTORIC AMERICAN BUILDING ARTS: Bridgeton. ReVisioning New Jersey's Largest Historic District. CHABA, Bridgeton’s newest preservation and community development non-profit, brings community activists, artists and professionals together through community outreach programs to model preservation as an engine of sustainable housing improvement, jobs creation, quality of life and economic reinvestment in the largest historic district in the state. 31 West Commerce Street, Bridgeton, NJ 08302. 856- 221-3276. www.historicbuildingarts.org

CUMBERLAND COUNTY LIBERTY BELL: Bridgeton. The bell, in the key of F, was made in Bridgewater, England before 1776. This bell has been used in many ways in Bridgeton and once in Philadelphia. It called people together for important news and meetings when hanging in the Court House that was built in 1760-61. It rang for liberty when the Declaration of Independence was signed. It was used as a warning signal during the War of 1812. It rang for the 200th Anniversary of the founding of Cumberland County in 1948. It was also on exhibit in Philadelphia during the 150th Anniversary of Independence. While there, it rang for the closing time. The Cumberland County Liberty Bell may not be as well known, but has an interesting history of its own, and no crack!

DIVIDING CREEK UNION HALL: Dividing Creek. The Dividing Creek Union Hall is believed to be among the oldest public, non-church, non-municipal buildings in existence in South Jersey today. At a time before modern insurance, Social Security, employer health insurance, worker safety regulations or any of the social welfare improvements of the 20th century, people had few sources of protection or financial safety nets. With often nowhere to turn for support, citizens formed societies, often called friendly societies, mutual societies or benevolent societies which were mutual associations for the purposes of insurance, pensions, savings or cooperative banking. These societies provided financial and social services to individuals, often according to their religious, political or trade affiliations. Several of these societies were formed throughout Cumberland County in the 19th century, and in 1897 Union Hall was built to provide a meeting location for several of them. Basically a communal lodge, Union Hall was used primarily by three societies: the Good Intent Beneficial Society, the Odd Fellows and the Junior Order of United American Mechanics. These societies survived into the 20th century, but gradually disbanded as their services were provided by businesses and government. Union Hall, was purchased in 1965 by the Dividing Creek Civic Club, which is today known as the Dividing Creek Historical Society. Today the hall is used for community events and social activities. It is open on special occasions and by appointment. Visit Website

GARTON ROAD SHUL: Deerfield. A synagogue. Garton Road was established at first by only a few men in 1888, who began clearing the area and building simple two-room houses for their families. For religious services, the Garton Road residents would hike through the woods to the synagogue in Rosenhayn, about three miles away. The hike is very difficult for the older members of the community to make though, and in 1890 they formed their own congregation and began to collect funds to build their own shul. A "shul" is a small, typically one-room synagogue where religious services are held on Shabbat, the Jewish Sabbath, a day of rest and spiritual enrichment. It is easy to miss the tiny wooden frame building surrounded by fields, as it seems to be part of the landscape. The shul has a peaked roof and a prominent Mogen David, or Star of David, painted blue, above the door. Today, the shul is cared for by the Ostroff family, who have watched over the little building for generations. It is opened for Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year) and on special occasions. 612 Garton Rd, Bridgeton, NJ 08302.

GIBBON HOUSE: Greenwich. In 1730, Nicholas Gibbon, built a replica of a London townhouse he had admired. The brick, fired on the property, was laid in the Flemish Bond pattern brought from Kent, England. Rubbed brick is a further architectural feature, outlining each door and window opening as well as being used to emphasize the four corners of the house. The mansion, appropriately furnished with the products of 18th and 19th century artisans, contains a reception hall, a paneled drawing room, a formal dining room, and a kitchen dominated by a huge walk-in fireplace in which demonstrations of colonial open-fire cooking are conducted. The Barn Museum at the Gibbon House: a display of implements used in gardening and agriculture are tools used by 19th century carpenters, wheelwrights, and blacksmiths, along with a number of artifacts essential to the homemaker of the 1800's. Guided free tours of this amazing historical structure are available on Tuesday through Sunday afternoons from 1pm until 4pm. 960 Ye Greate Street, Greenwich, NJ 08323. 856-455-4055. Visit Website

HENRY E. WYBLE HISTORIC RESEARCH LIBRARY & EDUCATION CENTER: Millville. Houses an extensive collection of books dealing with WWII, WWI, and the Vietnam, Korean, Middle East, and Persian Gulf wars. It also contains a comprehensive video library, large-screen theater and numerous model collections. The Wyble Library, which officially opened in April 2007, is located in one of the historic WWII buildings at Millville Airport and is part of the MAAFM (Millville Army Air Field Museum). Hours of operation are Tuesday through Friday, 10am to 4pm. The Library, which is available for meetings of up to 50 people, can also be opened on weekends upon special request, and for tours. 23 Peterson St., Millville, NJ 08332. 856-327-2347. www.wyblelibrary.org

HISTORIC BRIDGETON WALKING TOUR: Bridgeton. Take a walk through time in New Jersey's largest historic district and visit over 300 years of American history. Get a walking tour map and take an excursion into Colonial, Federalist, and Victorian History. This Historic Bridgeton Walking Tour features a wealth of historic attractions what will appeal to the entire family. Their history formally began in 1686 when Richard Hancock built a sawmill and workmen's houses near where Pine Street meets the Broad Street bypass. In fact, today Potter's Tavern and Ebenezer Miller's house still remain from Pre-revolutionary times. In 1716, a bridge was build across the Cohansey River and in 1749, the Cohansey Bridge became the county seat. By the time of the revolution, Bridgetown, as it was then called, had about two hundred inhabitants. Bridgeton began to grow. It's population increased form 400 in 1800 to 2,387 in 1838. There were now 475 building in the town. Among them were four churches, twelve schools, six blacksmith shops, a nail and iron factory, a woolen mill, and much more. By this time, Bridgeton was quite self-sufficient, and few things needed to be imported. However, thirty cargo-carrying schooners and sloops were based in Bridgeton. The prosperous business and professional men built elegant and pretentious homes. The latest American architectural styles were used: Federal, Greek Revival, etc. Bridgeton became more of an industrial center in the latter half of the 1800s and the fine Victorian homes of this era reveal this prosperity. Atlantic Street and Commerce Street have the greatest concentration of the remaining Victorian houses. Today, you will meet a city committed to restoring its heritage. Experience the quaint Victorian downtown ambiance, satisfy your palate at one of their fine eateries, and enjoy their special events and recreation facilities. Visit Website

JOHN DUBOIS MARITIME MUSEUM: Greenwich. The John DuBois Maritime Museum houses a large collection of Southern New Jersey Maritime related items from the 19th and early 20th centuries. A large and unique collection of builders' models of local craft show the plans used to build a new ship from the model itself. Exhibited are tools used to carve ribs, planking, masts and booms. Also displayed are many blocks, deadlines and rigging. The museum is proud to have on of the largest collections on the East Coast of caulking tools. Videos are available by the New Jersey Network on oyster schooners, including an interview with John DuBois, who donated most of the artifacts. Also exhibited are early marine engine parts, most from the Hettingers of Bridgeton, one of the first manufacturers in America of marine motors. The John DuBois Maritme Museum open on Sundays 1-4pm. Open April through November by appointment. 949 Ye Greate St., Greenwich NJ 08323. 856-455-4055. Visit Website

MAURICETOWN: Mauricetown. Nestled about ten to twelve miles north from the mouth of the Maurice River. The written history of the region goes back to the 1600s when the Dutch, not the English, controlled the region. A map of "Nieuw Nederlandt," as the region was called, published in Amsterdam in 1676, includes references to the Zuyd Revier, or South River, as the Dutch called the Delaware River, and marks very distinctly the entrance of the Maurice River into the bay, and names it Mauritius Revier. The name references Maurice, Prince of Orange, royalty to the Dutch. The name was later Anglicized to Maurice River. The town itself was settled slowly, first consisting of a few simple houses and a tavern. However, in 1810, three enterprising brothers by the name of Compton arrived from New England and began laying out streets and building lots to sell. Each of the brothers had homes built on Front Street. Edward Compton was born in 1836 in Mauricetown, in what at the time was an area referred to as Downes, later to be split into Downe and Commercial Townships. It is interesting to note that the names Downes and subsequently Downe Township was named after Governor William Franklin's wife's maiden name, Downes. Governor Franklin was the last Colonial Governor of New Jersey (1763-1776), and was the acknowledged illegitimate son of Benjamin Franklin. Franklin married Elizabeth Downes in 1762 and she died in 1777 while her husband was imprisoned as a Loyalist during the Revolutionary War. 1229 Front Street, Mauricetown, NJ 08329. 856-785-1137 or 856-785-1372. www.mauricetownhistoricalsociety.org

MILLVILLE ARMY AIR FIELD MUSEUM: Millville. The Millville Army Air Field Museum preserves the history of the Millville Army Air Field, in Millville, New Jersey, which was dedicated by the U.S. War Department in 1941 as America’s First Defense Airport. During its four year existence, more than 10,000 men and women served here, with 1,500 pilots receiving advanced fighter training in P-47 Thunderbolt and P-40 Warhawk fighter planes. Incorporated in 1988, the Museum is located in the original Millville Army Air Field base headquarters building. The surrounding historic complex includes the original Link Trainer Building with a rare, operational Link Trainer flight simulator which is enjoyed by both young people and adults, the Henry E. Wyble Historic Research Library and Education Center, and a connecting courtyard with several aircraft displayed. Visitors will enjoy numerous displays of WWII aviation artifacts of local and national interest. Exhibits serve to recognize and commemorate all aspects of aviation history as well as document and honor the lives of American veterans. Expanded displays include items of interest from the Korean and Vietnam Wars, collections from the Philadelphia Seaplane Base Museum, New Jersey Aerospace Resource Center and the P-47 Thunderbolt Pilots’ Association and Advocates. The Millville Army Air Field Museum hosts numerous historic aviation displays and commemorative events including the Millville Wheels and Wings Air Show, and Veterans Appreciation Day, among others. The Millville Wheels and Wings Air Show draws tens of thousands of people to see amazing performers, such as the US Navy Blue Angels and USAF Thunderbirds and much, much more! Gates open at 9am with flying starting at 10:30am. See the event flyer here. www.millvilleairshow.com. These events bring vintage warbirds, military aircraft, and veterans to Millville to be recognized for their important history and service. Thousands of visitors come to the Millville Army Air Field Museum and its events each year. Visitors regularly encounter World War II veterans discussing their experiences and explaining Museum displays. The Museum promotes the excitement of aviation through its history, instills patriotism as it honors the lives of all veterans and American military, and educates and inspires youth. The Millville Army Air Field Museum is a great source of pride and a genuine asset to the City of Millville, as it impacts a greater regional, statewide and national audience. Millville Airport’s historic district was named to the New Jersey Historic Register in October 2009. Twenty-five WWII-era buildings including two hangars received the historic designation to protect these vintage structures, which reflect an important period of aviation history on the home front at America’s First Defense Airport from 1941 to 1945. 1 Leddon Street, Millville Airport, Millville, NJ 08332. 856-327-2347. www.p47millville.org

NEW ENGLAND TOWNE BURYING GROUND (1680): Fairfield Township. You may know it as the Old Christ’s Church on the Cohansey River, the Old Fairfield Church, the Old New England Town Church or even as Swing Cemetery. Whatever name you choose to use, it refers to the historic cemetery located on Back Neck Road in Fairton, NJ. Congregational Puritans from Fairfield Connecticut were sponsored by New Haven merchants to settle on the shores of the Delaware Bay in the late seventeenth century. By 1680, a congregation had gathered at New England Crossroads on the Cohansey River. By 1708, Christ's Church of Fairfield had become Presbyterian. It may have been one of the six churches that originated in Philadelphia as the first Presbytery in America. In 1775, the congregation decided to build a new church. And soon they moved to the Old Stone Church location. Methodists were holding meetings in private residences until 1819-20 when a meeting house, called the Swing Meeting House, was erected directly in front of the graveyard of the Fairfield Presbyterian Church. Methodists began burying their family members there, hence the name Swing Cemetery. Back Neck Road (County Road 601) at New England Cross Road (Methodist Meeting Road), Fairfield Township.

OBERLIN SMITH (The FERRACUTE MACHINE COMPANY, PLANT SITE): Bridgeton. Bridgeton’s most famous resident, was Oberlin Smith, who founded the Ferracute Machine Company in 1863. Considered a leader in the field of mechanical engineering in the late 1800's, Smith was the holder of over 70 patents. The Ferracute Machine Company found it's niche in the manufacture of metalworking presses used to stamp out parts for the canning industry, the automotive industry, and in the making of cash coins. Ferracute presses were shipped around the world, and contributed to the opening of trade in the far East. Among the many societies that Smith belonged to, he became the President of the ASME in 1899, the New Jersey Director to the Pan-American Exposition in 1901, and a member of the National Geographic Society. Smith was a prolific writer to many engineering trade journals of his time. The Ferracute Machine Company property is currently vacant and deteriorating, however there is hope that the place will be preserved in the future as a historical and tourism attraction. 429 E. Commerce St, Bridgeton NJ. www.oberlinsmith.org

OLD BROAD STREET PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH: Bridgeton. This was the first church erected in Bridge Town, and the cornerstone was laid in 1792. It was finished and first used for worship in 1795, but not before funds were raised by a state-wide lottery to complete the building. Used by the congregation only until 1836, the building was preserved in pristine condition highly regarded by experts in church architecture. During the 41 years of the building’s use, such innovations as astral lamps and wood stoves built at Atsion were introduced. Architecture: The church is a brick structure similar to those built in Philadelphia during the second half of the 18th Century. Broad Street Church has pews arranged in “church order” — that is, facing the narrower wall — rather than in the traditional “meeting house order.” The elevated pulpit is of typical “wine glass” design. Above the pulpit is one of the most significant architectural features of the church, the Palladian window, with its central window and semicircular arch flanked on each side by smaller windows and all unified by an entablature supported by columns. The name "Palladian” comes from the Venetian architect who originated the design, Andrea Palladio, who worked in the sixteenth century. Architects in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries would often travel from other parts of Europe to Italy to study architecture, and they brought the Palladian style back to England and the American Colonies. Thomas Jefferson acquired an intense appreciation of Palladian architecture and used it extensively in his design for Monticello. By 1835, the congregation had erected a new church, but because the Broad Street church was surrounded by the cemetery, the congregation did not abandon or sell it, but rather maintained it exactly as they left it, which is why today it is identified as one of the most pristine and unaltered examples of eighteenth century church architecture in the United States. Today, Broad Street Presbyterian Church is used for special services and open to the public by appointment. It is carefully maintained by the Presbyterian congregation of First Presbyterian Church located on Commerce Street. Broad and Lawrence Streets, Bridgeton. Visit Website

POTTER'S TAVERN: Bridgeton. Potter's Tavern was a popular meeting place just before the Revolution due to its proximity to the Cumberland County Courthouse. As revolutionary sentiment spread through the colonies, the humble tavern, then the principal hostelry in this County Seat, became Bridgeton's Independence Hall. In 1775 at Christmas time, patriots published a manuscript newspaper called The Plain Dealer at Potter's Tavern in Cohansey Bridge. Dedicated to the cause of liberty, it in the strongest terms for separation from the Crown rule. Matthew Potter, tavern keeper, risking a charge of treason, thus became one of the unsung heroes of the Revolution. Some of the leading citizens who wrote articles included Dr. Jonathan Elmer, Dr. Lewis Howell, Richard Howell and Joseph Bloomfield. The latter two became governors of New Jersey. Architecturally, the Tavern is an excellent example of the type of frame house built in New Jersey during the 17th and 18th century. Open on Sundays in July 1pm - 4pm. 49-51 West Broad Street, Bridgeton, NJ 08302. 856-455-8580. Visit Website

SEABROOK EDUCATIONAL AND CULTURAL CENTER: Seabrook. Although small in population and omitted from most New Jersey maps, the village of Seabrook represents a unique and important part of the heritage of Upper Deerfield Township, of New Jersey, and, indeed, of the United States. The settlement history of Seabrook produced a place of remarkable cultural diversity. Whether brought together by the ravages of war, the quest for economic betterment, or the spirit of adventure, Seabrook represents a historically unique meeting of culturally diverse people in rural America- relocated Japanese Americans and Japanese Peruvians from the U.S. internment camps, wartime refugees from Europe, migrant laborers from Appalachia, the Deep South, and the Caribbean. Seabrook was the authentic “global, bootstrap village” where people of many cultures and adversities lived and worked together, learned of and from one other, and greatly benefited. Exhibits, Lectures and Customized Programs for Grades K-12. Seabrook was called “The biggest vegetable factory on earth” by Life Magazine in 1955. As a major supplier of food for the military during World War II, it brought as many as 25 different ethnic groups from internment and refugee camps from around the world to fill the labor shortage. 1325 Highway 77, Seabrook, NJ 08302. 856-451-8393. www.seabrookeducation.org

SHEPPARD HOUSE: Bridgeton. An imposing Federal style mansion, with its three-and-a-half story mass, columned portico, and double parapeted chimneys, that was constructed in 1791 in Bridgeton, then known as Bridgetown. The mansion was built by David Sheppard, a successful gentleman farmer from Back Neck, which was south of Bridgeton. The Sheppard House sits just north of the first bridge to cross the Cohansey River on Commerce Street. During the 18th century the mansion was used as a boarding school for girls, and in the 1970's the mansion was renovated for use as a restaurant and operated under various names and owners into the late 1980's. In the 1990's the city partnered with Rutgers University, to locate its Jacques Cousteau National Estuarine Research Reserve. Today, the Cousteau Center as it is known, brings science-based information to help enrich and manage the significant environment and coastal resources of the bayshore region. 31 W Commerce St, Bridgeton, NJ 08302. 856-369-1300. Visit Website

SPRINGTOWN & THE BETHEL AFRICAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH: Springtown, one of the oldest black settlements in Cumberland County, is located about a mile from the colonial village of Greenwich. The Springtown Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church was built between 1838 and 1841, and marked a growing community. In Springtown, the small, concrete masonry church known as Bethel AME Church is a rare, surviving African American institution associated with the Underground Railroad. Located in the heart of the black community of Springtown in Greenwich Township, the church and its congregation offered lodging to fugitive slaves travelling north after leaving Maryland's Eastern Shore and Delaware. Oral histories attest that Harriet Tubman used the Springton/Greenwich station from 1849-1853 during her passage north through Delaware to Wilmington – which was one of her most famous routes. 1092 Sheppards Mill Rd, Bridgeton, NJ 08302. 856-451-2700. Visit Website

SWEDISH GRANARY: Greenwich. In the rear yard of the the Gibbon House in Greenwich stands what is most likely the sole surviving 17th century Swedish granary in America. Built sometime in the mid seventeenth century, it was moved to its current location in 1975 from its original construction site about four miles east of Greenwich in the Dutch Neck area of Hopewell Township. The construction of the Swedish Granary in the middle of the 17th century occurred at a time when the Realm of Sweden has reached its greatest territorial extent and was one of the great powers of Europe. Passing what is today Cape May and Cape Henlopen in Delaware the first ships of the New Sweden Company landed on the Delaware side of the Delaware Bay in 1638. While traces of the early Swedish colonies in southern New Jersey remain in town names like Swedesboro, very few buildings remain standing and the Granary in Greenwich is the only known of its type to still be in existence. Built of Atlantic White Cedar, a wood that is light, not very strong, but extremely decay resistant, the Granary consists of a two-part structure with notched and crossed corners with the ends of the logs slightly projecting. The roof has a steep slope and is made of handsplit cedar shingles. No openings are cut into the logs on three sides and a log interior wall divides the building into two spaces with stairs and a loft space above one. Fifty-nine logs remain from the original structure while the roof and floors dates to a 1976 restoration based on Swedish construction methods of the period. The Granary's original purpose was to store threshed grain or animal feed and was a precursor to today's silos and grain elevators. It stands today both as a reminder of the region's long and complex history and as a testament to the farming traditions and agricultural bounty which remains to this day throughout Cumberland County. The Granary is undergoing study for its continued preservation and is open on special occasions. 960 Ye Greate St, Greenwich, NJ 08323. Visit Website

WARREN AND REBA LUMMIS GENEALOGICAL & HISTORICAL RESEARCH LIBRARY: Greenwich. The Warren and Reba Lummis Genealogical & Historical Research Library is located in Cumberland County, New Jersey and is open to the public at no charge. The collection is housed in a building designed by noted restoration architect G. Edwin Brunbaugh in 1967, the building is fashioned after a late 18th Century commercial building with a Philadelphia architectural influence. 981 Ye Greate Street, Greenwich, NJ 08323. 856-451-2848. Visit Website

WOODRUFF MUSEUM OF INDIAN ARTIFACTS: Bridgeton. The Woodruff Museum of Indian Artifacts, is located in the lower level of the Bridgeton Free Public Library at 150 E. Commerce Street in Bridgeton, NJ. There are some 30,000 pieces on Native American relics creatively laid out in display cases. There are approximately 25,000 Indian arrowheads, all found in South Jersey. Amid the arrowheads, you will find some Folsom Points which are about 10,000 years old. All artifacts in the museum come from the Lenni Lenape Indian Tribe. Some other of the remarkable arrowheads found in this interesting collection are the Iron Stones, dated from between 5,000 to 8,000 years ago. There are also notched bifurcate arrowheads created some 3,000 to 5,000 years ago and Quartzite arrowheads, found in Greenwich that go back from 600 to 1,000 years ago. Also found in the display cases are pots, mostly found by the late Howard Radcliffe who helped assemble the museum. There are 57 pots carefully reconstructed from shattered pieces by Radcliffe, known in South Jersey as the “Grandfather” of all local Indian artifact collectors. The museum was created by the late George J. Woodruff with the assistance of Mr. Radcliffe. The artifacts were stored in Woodruff’s home until the men created the museum at the Bridgeton Library in the year 1976. A group of volunteers interested in Indian artifacts and collectors themselves, serve as tour guides for the museum and are available to take school children on tours during the week if scheduled in advance by schools. These knowledgeable volunteers provide a valuable background to what a visitor sees in the dozens of displays located throughout the museum. They are there from 1:00 to 4:00 pm every Wednesday. Bridgeton Free Public Library, 150 E. Commerce St., Bridgeton, NJ 08302. 856-451-2620. Visit Website

HISTORICAL SOCIETIES:
CUMBERLAND COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY: Greenwich. Their office is located in the Warren and Reba Lummis Genealogical and Historical Library, at 981 Ye Greate Street in Greenwich. The Society is very active in promoting knowledge concerning the history of Cumberland County and was founded in 1905, at the same time plans were being made to erect a monument to commemorate the Tea Burning in Greenwich. Originally the Society Headquarters was located on the top floor of the Cumberland County Court Housem but in 1947, the Wood family of Philadelphia leased the Wood Mansion in Greenwich to the Society for its Headquarters. Its artifacts and accumulated records were moved to Greenwich. In June 1969 the Society acquired the Gibbon House and its barn on Ye Greate Street. Several years later a Swedish log farm building (circa 1650) was moved to this site. A Maritime Museum has been established in the former Lecture Room which was built by the congregation of the Greenwich Presbyterian Church in 1852 and presently displays artifacts relating to the waterways of the area. Following the purchase of the former Greenwich branch bank in 1993, the voluminous collection of genealogical material, rare books, deeds and maps previously displayed in the Pirate House were transferred to this commodious building which is now known as the Warren Lummis Genealogical & Research Library. The Cumberland County Liberty Bell is exhibited by the Society in the Court House lobby, and the Society also serves as administrator for Potter's Tavern in Bridgeton and for the Old Stone Church in Fairfield. Each year, an Annual Craft fair is held on the grounds of the Gibbon House. 960 Ye Greate St, Greenwich, NJ 08323. 856-455-4055. www.cchistsoc.org

MAURICETOWN HISTORICAL SOCIETY: Mauricetown. The Mauricetown Historical Society was formally organized in June 1983 when a group of local citizens recognized the need to preserve and perpetuate the unique quality of life and the colorful history of the villages of Mauricetown, Port Norris, Haleyville, Buckshutem and the areas of Commercial Township (NJ) that border the Maurice River as it winds its way to the Delaware Bay. 1229 Front St, Mauricetown, NJ 08329. 856-785-0457. www.mauricetownhistoricalsociety.org

MILLVILLE HISTORICAL SOCIETY: Millville. Dedicated to preserving Millville's history. The society resides at the Mansion House, a 20-room mansion built by David Cooper Wood and enlarged by Richard D. Wood. It was constructed of New Jersey ironstone, then covered by mortar and whitewashed. Wood's Iron Foundry created the iron door sills, the pillars on the porch and the porch steps with the open grating. The Millville Historical Society is currently creating a museum to the City's industrial past at this location. 821 Columbia Ave, Millville, NJ 08332. 856-825-2067. www.millvillehistorical.com

VINELAND HISTORICAL AND ANTIQUARIAN SOCIETY: Vineland. The Vineland Historical and Antiquarian Society is the oldest local historical society in New Jersey. Its goal is to collect and preserve artifacts and records related to Vineland, New Jersey, the South Jersey region, and American history, and share that material with the public through exhibits, programs and other appropriate venues. It features permanent exhibits of antique furnishings, paintings, military artifacts, broadsides, and musical instruments. There are rooms dedicated to the Civil War, the history of local native cultures, and local glass making. The Charles K. Landis room features many furnishings that once belonged to the town founder. Other collections include an extensive collection of local newspapers and South Jersey census records on microfilm/microfiche, as well as a library of general history and biographical works in excess of 6000 books and magazines. 108 S Seventh St, Vineland, NJ 08360. 856-691-1111. www.vinelandhistory1864.org

Want to add a listing or make a correction? We strive to make sure all information is complete and accurate. EMAIL US TO MAKE A CHANGE